Training for a triathlon and fighting Rheumatoid Arthritis can take a lot out of a body. I need all the positive vibes you can send!

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Never a Dull Moment

If nothing else, getting out on the road and into the pool keeps things interesting. There is always something happening to keep me on my toes. This week was no exception, with everything from grasshopper attaches to a ride in a State Trooper vehicle.

I don't have a big race in the near future so I'm just doing what I want workout wise for a few weeks. It's nice not to have to follow a plan for a little while and I'm enjoying it immensely. I'm still doing something everyday but on my own time and at my own pace.

On the day I went swimming I didn't time it very well. It was another triple digit temperature day and it seems the hotter the air the colder the water feels. I'm not one to just plunge into the water. I inch down bit by bit, slowly letting my body adjust to the cold. It was taking a good long while to get up the nerve to sink my body down but I finally got all the way in. Then the whistle blew for break time and everyone had to get out of the pool. What?!! I just got used to the water and they want me to get out? Yup. I spent the next 20 minutes baking on the side of the pool.

My long run was through the sage brush and I felt like I was in a really bad disaster movie. Grasshoppers were everywhere and jumping on my legs as I ran. Believe me I was doing some really interesting moves to bat them off as I ran. I wish I was talented enough to write a really bad movie about Attack of the Killer Grasshoppers.

But my ride was the most interesting workout of the week. The forecast was for little wind in the morning so I decided to head out for a 40 mile ride. I started nice and early with energy gels, fruit chews, plenty of water and everything I thought I might need for a long ride. Things were fine until about 10 miles into the ride when my rear tire went flat. No problem. I carry a spare tube and a can of compressed air for just that reason. This was the first time I changed a tire by myself and was taking my time and being careful. After only 10 minutes I was back on the road, my hands greasy from the chain and feeling pretty proud of myself.

That is until I got a second flat on the same tire 5 miles later. That was a problem. No more tubes and no more air in the can. That made me 15 miles from home and a long way from anywhere out on the highway. I knew my Hubby was working a good 50 miles away and would not be happy if he had to come pick me up. I started walking back home and called him to get the phone number of a neighbor lady that I though could come and pick me up. Between bad cell reception and loud trucks we got cut off a few times and when we finally got connected a State Trooper had just pulled up behind me. He offered to put my bike in the back of his SUV and drive me home. What timing!

Between adventures and misadventures it's been a full week. I learned some lessons and laughed at my own goofs and blunders. Life truly is full of interesting stories and adventures if you just get out of the door and look for them. Never a dull moment!

1 comment: