Training for a triathlon and fighting Rheumatoid Arthritis can take a lot out of a body. I need all the positive vibes you can send!

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Which Came First, The Chicken Or The Egg

As I write this my eyes are having trouble focusing on the computer screen, a lingering side-affect of my latest set-back. To add to the aches and pains of my bike crashes a few days ago I developed a severe case of positional vertigo. It's an experience I don't want to repeat anytime soon.

In the middle of the nigh early Monday morning I turned over in bed. That doesn't sound like a big issue. But it is if you get dizzy and feel the room spinning out of control. I was hoping it would go away but when I next turned over the spinning hit so hard and fast that I had to wake my hubby up to get something to throw up into. My good big stock pot was the first thing he found. I don't think I'll ever be able to eat chicken soup from that particular pan again.

Every little shift of my head sent me reeling. The world would spin so fast and hard that I would flip over in the bed and hang my head in just the right position to make it slow down. I'm usually not an alarmist but this had me headed to the ER. The car ride was agony. Every turn brought new spinning and new nausea.

The staff there gave me some meds for the spinning and stomach problems, and a steroid shot to help my inner ear. They sent me home with instructions to return if it got worse. It did. By just after lunch the pain in my head was unbearable so off we went to visit the good folks at the hospital again. This time they ordered a head CT which came back normal. Hubby thinks they didn't see anything because I've lost my mind doing all these adventures.

And then the debate started. Did the crashes on Saturday contribute to the vertigo that started Monday? Or was my balance already compromised making me a wobbly rider a few days before the full onset of the condition? It all depends on which doctor you talk to. I've taken a drink from my water bottle many many times on a ride and not been that unsteady. But a blow to the head hard enough to crack my helmet is not to be taken lightly either. In the long run it doesn't really matter. Getting back on my feet is the goal, not finding blame.

They admitted me to the hospital for observation and late in the evening one of the doctors did a maneuver where he quickly changed my position and turned my head  from side to side. As awful as that felt it did seem to slow the spinning to an almost manageable speed. Between that and the drugs I was on the road to recovery. The next day was spent resting and practicing standing and walking on my own without falling down. Now, it's my eyes that are giving me the most problems. The side-affect of the patch I have to wear (just like they wear on a cruise ship) is dilated pupils. You know how it feels when you go to the eye doctor and they put those drops in your eyes? That's what I'm feeling now and will feel until I go back for my checkup next week.

It goes without saying that I won't be doing the Pedal the Plains ride. I may not have ridden all 100 miles but I would have loved to spend the day with friends just cruising down the highways and byways. My friends have been fantastic and I can't thank them enough for their prayers, concern, and encouragement. If anything, all these adventures have led me to a great place in my life filled with positive, caring people. Ladies, you are so special to me. I don't really care which came first, the chicken or the egg. Just as long as I can recover and get back on the road. Fried chicken and omelets anyone?

2 comments:

  1. Praying your out on that bike ASAP enjoying this beautiful fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, it was not meant to be for any of us;). What I've learned from you my friend is the positive spirit is what makes us friends:). See you at the next big race!

    ReplyDelete