Training for a triathlon and fighting Rheumatoid Arthritis can take a lot out of a body. I need all the positive vibes you can send!

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon - A Day To Remember

I've heard about this run for a few years with many of my friends making the trip to Oklahoma City several times to participate. They talked about the crowd support, the great course, and the humbling experience of
being at Ground Zero of the horrific bombing that took 168 lives including 19 children. My Running Friends had encouraged me to go this year but I didn't think I could justify the expense and travel to walk the half marathon. It just didn't seem right for some reason.

A section of the Memory Fence
Then after finishing a half marathon a few weeks ago they persuaded me to join them and hit the streets of Oklahoma City. I registered and offered my car for the ride in exchange for a bed since the closest hotels were booked up long ago. But it was hard for me to get excited about this event. It wasn't on my bucket list or even in the realm of possibility a few months ago. So I would go, and I would walk, and I would pick up my medal and go home. Or at least that's what I thought.

Claudia B. and I would be riding together and stopping along the way to pick up her daughter but we had work commitments that prevented us from leaving earlier in the day. We finally pulled out of town at 5:30 and by the time we reached OKC it was midnight. We checked into our hotel and crashed. I vowed to sleep in the next morning, but my internal alarm clock had other plans. We met some of the other ladies for lunch then hit the Expo to pick up our packets and do some shopping for the latest running essentials. I found a star spangled skirt, arm warmers, and head band that I thought would be a hoot. We found a few more of the Running Friends in the massive crowd and managed to take a few pictures before each heading our own way.
Claudia B. and her daughter Krystal L. taking shelter
 in the parking garage.

I'm an uber-planner so I wanted to know how long it would take us to walk to the starting line in the morning so I talked Claudia into going to the OKC Memorial Park. We walked the 7 or 8 blocks until we got to the starting line area which just happens to be at one of the Gates of Time. I think it was at that moment, looking at the chain link fence covered with mementos to the fallen that I finally realized what this run was all about. Teddy bears were tied to the fence, along with faded race bibs, flowers, shoe laces, and all manner of little trinkets of love and remembrance. Walking around the hallowed grounds made me realize that we were running to support the efforts to keep the memory of 168 souls alive for all time. Running to remind the world what was taken from the people of Oklahoma City that day, innocence. The chairs that sit empty on the lawn serve to remind us that 168 people would not be sitting with their own families any more, but sitting with God. I was humbled.
The Start!

From that moment on the run took on new meaning for me. I vowed to just soak in the moments and
experience the event as it was meant to be, enjoying every step of the way. We had dinner that evening with some of our running community and laughed and told stories, and offered last minute advice and encouragement. Then it was early to bed and early to rise. But what we awoke to was not pretty.

The skies were overcast and blustery with the forecast for severe storms on the way. We sucked it up and headed out into the cool wind and light rain, headed for the start corral. But as we neared the starting line the thunder started to roll and lightning lit the sky. We dashed into a parking garage near the starting line and packed into shelter with thousands of other runners. Soon came word that the race was being delayed to let the storm pass. Cell phone reception was spotty and information was hard to come by. First the start time was pushed to 7:00, then 7:30, then 8:00. The word was that if we didn't start by then it would be canceled. They couldn't keep the streets closed any longer than that and the temperature but the end would make conditions unsafe. But sending runners into a lightning storm was not safe either. So we waited.
Walking with the OKC Fire Department. 

8:00 came and went and we were mentally checking out already when the announcement came that we would start at 8:20. It was still lightning in the distance but the clouds were thinning on the back side of the
storm. En-mass we moved into the street and before we got the chance to find our correct place in the corral we were off. It was a mad chaotic start with walkers like Claudia and I way to far to the front but with no other option but to go with the flow. After a few miles everyone sorted themselves out and we settled in for a nice long walk.

Gorilla Hill! This neighborhood goes all out
for the race, complete with giant gorilla!
As the sun overtook the clouds the temperature rose quickly and before long we were happy to dash under sprinklers provided by residents along the way. The beauty of this event is the community participation. Through every neighborhood there were people out on the front lawn cheering us on. They handed out water, Gatorade, fruit, and donuts. They played music, dressed in costume, and posted signs to encourage us along. We saw at least one marriage proposal and spent a mile walking with members of the Oklahoma City Fire Department. That was amazing!

The only down-side to all the attractions was that we couldn't really keep a good pace going. Claudia isn't used to walking distances so we ran some of the downhill sections to pick up the pace and vary the strain on our bodies. Even though it was hot by the time we finished the hours seemed to fly by. In just a few seconds over 3:25 we crossed the finish line to the cheers of hundreds of spectators who cheered as loud for us as they did the elite runners who finished hours earlier.

We were handed out finisher medal and picked up a cheeseburger and recovery fruit and headed to the
Proud finishers. 
memorial site to meet up with our friends at the Survivor Tree. We were all tired but alright and compared notes and sights along the route. By walking I was able to see more and soak in more of the spirit of the community then I might have if I was huffing and puffing and struggling to keep running. All too soon we had to head back to the hotel and then home.

We stopped many times along the way and walked like stiff legged zombies at times, but we made it home without any trouble. But something changed about me, other then the toe nail that ripped off during the walk. I have a greater appreciation for communities that survive a devastating blow, either through terror or natural disaster. Somehow it forges them, making them stronger, making them more giving even when so much was taken from them. I think I can understand that. My struggles have made me stronger and more determined to live life to the fullest and
not let someone or something take that away from me. I think it's a lesson we all can learn. Thank you OKC.


3 comments:

  1. Another great post!!!!! Congrats on getting out there and doing another half! LOVE the armbands and headband!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lori. It was truly an inspirational event.

    I've been thinking a lot about your last post (In Memoriam). It struck so close to home for me. Thirty odd years ago my daughter was born 2 months premature. Then followed 2 miscarriages within 5 months. My Dr. at the time told me I would never carry to turn so we adopted our son a few years later. I never in my life thought that might be related to RA. I wasn't diagnosed until last year and even though I look back and can see some of the early signs I didn't equate the two problems as being connected. Thank you for sharing your very personal story. It was a brave thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am so sorry. I wish this (RA) wasn't so hard, but I think it makes *ALL* of our triumphs (big and small) amazing!

      Delete