Training for a triathlon and fighting Rheumatoid Arthritis can take a lot out of a body. I need all the positive vibes you can send!

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Stress = Success!

Look at all those bikes!

What a week! My summer vacation is over and I started back to work on Monday. This year I was actually ready to go back. I had accomplished most of the tasks I wanted to and stayed healthy and active so it was time to get back into a routine. I pulled out my lunch bag and set my alarm clock for o-dark-thirty.

But Monday also marked a milestone in my rheumatoid treatment. At my appointment the week before it was decided that I would need to go on a higher dose of medication. That meant I would have to start giving myself injections once a week. I was a little apprehensive about this. I'm not squeamish but didn't know how I would react to sticking a needle into my belly fat. (I guess it's a good thing I have plenty of that!) I was surprised at how simple it turned out to be. The injection didn't hurt and thankfully I didn't have any adverse reaction to the higher dose of medicine.

Tuesday was tri practice at the Holcomb Rec pool. It would be the second ride on my new bike. Yes, my new bike is here and looks so shiny and fast. I really needed to put a few more miles on before the upcoming tri at the end of the week but somehow I just didn't feel it. I think it was a combination of the medicine, being back to work, and generally not pumped to be riding and running in 95 degree heat. So I just did a long swim and called it a night.

2nd place!
Thursday evening I finally got out for a ride on the bike, only the second time I've ridden on "Leonardo" and I was still learning the shifting touch and molding my tush to the saddle. It went OK but not really fast.

Saturday morning was another perfect morning for a race. Cool with a slight south breeze so we would have the wind at our backs for the second half of the ride. The Holcomb Triathlon is put on by my good friends at the Holcomb Rec and has grown from a few crazy entrants to 65+ nuts this year. Of those, 17 were really nuts and did the Double Tri, a unique event in which they do the tri twice, forward and backward - swim/bike/run-run/bike/swim. They start and end in the pool. It's a mini sprint so the distances are 225 - 9 - 2  and a lot of people use this as their first triathlon.

All evening the night before I was mentally pumping myself up to really push hard. I wanted to do well and see what I was really made of. As I was standing in the start line for the swim I did my normal scout of the competition. Not that many old ladies! My good friend Gina G. was going to cream me in the run even if I beat her in the swim so first place was out. I was shooting for second but more importantly, I was trying to finish strong.

No problems in the swim. I was surprised at how many people still struggle even in a fairly short swim. Of the three disciplines that seems to be the one that scares people away from the event. The bike was good; into a slight wind out and a tail wind back. I managed to pass quite a few riders and was feeling good. I only averaged 15 mph and thought I should have been faster but I was really pushing it, or so I thought. The run, well, the run always sucks. I thought I was in better running shape but I was still not able to maintain my pace for very long. I ended up walking a block and running a block. My time was just under 1:10 and I was hoping for under 1:06. The run kicks my butt every time.

When the awards were handed out I did manage to snag 2nd in the 50 and over division. There were at least
The Running Friends!
5 in the group so I can feel proud of that place. The total results haven't been posted yet so I don't know where I place overall. I wasn't very happy with my run but I just have to face it. My run is not going to get any better.

I didn't realize until I saw a picture later that all the medals in each age group were won by members of my little Running Friends group! Two of our group actually did the Double Tri! These are some amazing ladies who work hard and keep moving. They motivate me and inspire me to get out each day and do what I can with what I have. Most are much better athletes then me and I'm in awe of their accomplishments. Everyone of the ladies in the group is a winner just for wanting to improve their lives by moving their bodies. Thanks Running Friends, you are all rock stars!

Now it's back to training. Tiara Tri in two weeks! I can't wait to win my crown.

No comments:

Post a Comment