Training for a triathlon and fighting Rheumatoid Arthritis can take a lot out of a body. I need all the positive vibes you can send!

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Running With My Daughter

This past weekend I had the wonderful pleasure of finally doing and event with my daughter, Lyndi. She lives across the state from me and has a busy life with family and work and like so many younger women, no time to train. So when she invited me to do Running With The Cows I jumped at the chance to share the morning with her. That it was scheduled for Mother’s Day weekend was an added bonus. That I would get to see my granddaughters was just icing on the cake.

Because of work and family Lyndi doesn’t have the time to workout that I do. When do you fit a workout in between work and Girl Scouts, commuting and dance lessons, husband and housework? Many women have to put their own goals on hold as their families grow and activities get in the way. She does what she can when she can which is all anyone can do. I certainly don’t mind going slow and walking is just fine with me. Plus, the finishers received a cowbell. How cool is that! Sign me up!

The forecast was for rain but the morning was perfect; a little chilly at the start but just right at the end. The race features a ½ marathon and a 5K and in just 6 short years has grown to a major event. Over 1500 runners did the half and over 500 the 5K. Not bad for a little town. We followed the cow signs out of the starting area and then a simple out and back on a rolling course. We talked and visited and stopped to take a picture or two and spent a wonderful morning out on the road. Best Mother’s Day present she could have given me!

One of the big draws of this run is the amazing feast at the end. They have everything from the standard fruit and power bars to pizza, cinnamon rolls, muffins, protein balls, and bagels. They even had a concoction of homemade noodles, pulled pork, and green grapes. It sounds strange but don’t knock it until you try it. Yummmmm.

We didn’t break any speed records but enjoyed our time together. It’s not how fast you move, but that you move whatever you can, whenever you can. I’m so proud of my daughter for fitting in her workouts between family and work obligations and making a commitment to fitness. I was so happy to get to spend some time with her doing something healthy and active. I hope she calls me up more often and invites me to do a few more events with her. As they said at the race, “Just keep mooooving.”

No comments:

Post a Comment