Training for a triathlon and fighting Rheumatoid Arthritis can take a lot out of a body. I need all the positive vibes you can send!

Friday, December 15, 2017

Jingle Bell Run - More Tunnels!
Lyndi, Me, Claudia



I worry about Kansas City. So far I’ve run in two races through tunnels under the city. I have visions of the whole place falling down into the trenches just like in the movie “Paint Your Wagon”. Though I didn’t realize it was an underground race until I was on my way to the big city I’m always glad for the chance to participate in a new interesting venue.


Claudia brought this run to my attention and of course I jumped at the opportunity to support the Jingle Bell Run for the Arthritis Foundation. I recruited my daughter and the the three of us met on Sunday to run/walk our way through the tunnels.


If you have never seen been in one of these old limestone mines it is something to see. First off, they are huge! You don’t feel like you are underground at all. The walking surface is paved and the place is very well lit. This was Claudia’s first time in the tunnels and was a little apprehensive but soon settled into enjoy the ride. It really is more like running in a shopping mall than anything else. The only downside to this
We are all on the Light side of the Force today.
run is how incredibly hot and stuffy it got back away from the entrance. The temperature difference had to be at least 20 degrees, going from 60 to 80 in the space of a few short turns.


This run had a little bit of everything and was a real party atmosphere. DJ blasting, Star Wars characters, unlimited Krispy Kreme Donuts, after run pizza, photo booths, just about everything to make it a fun day for runners and support crew alike.


We started running for the first minute. That was about it. We walked and talked the entire rest of the two-loop course. The miles and time fly by when you spend it with wonderful friends and before you know it we were done and receiving our finisher medals. I have no idea of our time and I really don’t care. I’m glad Claudia hung back with us because I know how hard it is to hold back when you are a real runner. My daughter Lyndi and I are mostly walkers so for us it was perfect.

We hugged and grabbed some pizza and donuts and headed home. Another run in the books and another tunnel run to add to the list of unusual venues. As far as I know Kansas City is the only area that hosts not one, but two tunnel runs. Let’s hope the place doesn’t fall down any time soon!

Into the Tunnels we go!
Love doing events with my daughter!






No comments:

Post a Comment