Training for a triathlon and fighting Rheumatoid Arthritis can take a lot out of a body. I need all the positive vibes you can send!

Thursday, June 14, 2018


Amber and I on another wild adventure.

Mt. Sunflower

Nepal has Mt. Everest. The Swiss Alps have the Matterhorn. Alaska has Denali and Colorado has
Pikes Peak. Kansas has ... Mt. Sunflower: the highest point in Kansas at a whopping 4039 ft. Today, Amber M. and I took a slight detour from our bike ride and explored Mt. Sunflower in all it's majesty.

Actually, Mt. Sunflower is little more than a high spot in the pasture but it is in fact, the highest elevation in Kansas and we proudly added our name to the registry book and left a few mementos as we drank a toast to Mt. Sunflower with our Diet Dr. Peppers. You could say it was the "high-point" of our day.

The morning started with rain. Not something you can say very often in Western Kansas but there it was. I drove to Amber's house and we waited it out, she sipping espresso and me snacking on donuts. A few months ago I mentioned my goal of riding or running in every county in Kansas at some point and Amber jumped right on my bandwagon and so we were off on another crazy adventure. We headed north, taking 2 vehicles so we could do mainly tailwind rides because, well, I'm lazy like that. Amber, being the good sport that she is, went along with my crazy idea. First stop - Logan County.



Mt. Sunflower, the highest point in Kansas
Apparently I didn't look at the odometer right and we only ended up riding 4 miles in Logan County, but it counts! The wind was more of a cross wind but on the lovely downhill I managed 34 mph! I love flying down the hills and this stretch of road had almost zero traffic.


Next stop, Sharon Springs in Wallace County. We left the car at the city park and took the pickup south into Greeley County. we definitely had a tailwind for this ride. It was fabulous! We made it back to Sharon Springs in no time flat and logged 18.75 miles in the two counties.

Then we loaded up and headed for Mt. Sunflower. I mentioned it to the locals at the quickie mart and they laughed good naturedly and told us to have fun. We had heard it was tradition to drink a toast to Mt. Sunflower but beer wasn't on our menu so Diet Dr. Pepper would have to do.

It's an 18 mile drive, mostly on dirt country roads and we laughed all the way. I know it's corny, but I
A toast to Mt. Sunflower
was looking forward to "seeing" the plains from on high. I wish I could say the view was breathtaking. It wasn't. There were many vistas along our ride earlier that were more panoramic and scenic. But it is truly amazing to see the vast prairie in all it's glory. We drank our toast, filled out the guest registry, and left our little hand sanitizer bottles in the mail box for the next guests.


What a day. Three more counties colored in and a trip to Mt. Sunflower, all shared with a good friend who is willing to go along even when she thinks I'm crazy. I know we complain about the wind and lack of trees, but I think that's what makes us stronger. We have to stand up to that wind or learn to work around it. (Tailwind ride, anyone?) We value trees and prairie grass. And horizons. And challenges. Our wide open spaces remind us of how small we really are in the grand scheme of things. And they keep us humble. So here's a toast to Mt. Sunflower. May all who visit appreciate just how truly awesome you are!



















2 comments:

  1. I’ve been try to post a comment but keep getting kicked out. Going to try one more time. Your quest to ride in every county sounds like a great goal. I wish I could do it with you. I don’t think I have ever been to Mt. Sunflower. If I have I’ve forgotten (which is entirely possible). I’m glad you’re blogging. Be sure to keep it up for all your rides because it’s great to go back and relive the day anytime you want. So thankful you’re feeling well enough to get out there. Love you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you were having problems responding. I've been trying to fix the text wrapping and think I finally have it right. I'm so glad you are back out on the road again too! It is going to take me YEARS to finish this challenge. 105 counties is a lot!! You have fun and keep sharing your adventures. I do love going back and reading favorite posts and bringing back even more memories. Happy riding!

    ReplyDelete