Training for a triathlon and fighting Rheumatoid Arthritis can take a lot out of a body. I need all the positive vibes you can send!

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Take It To The Limit

As I’m participating in an event I try to allow the moment to fill me, to bring me new insight, to take away a new understanding of myself or the world around me. After finishing the Outrun Childhood Obesity (OCO) ½ Marathon on Saturday I can honestly say I was filled with a Peaceful Easy Feeling even though the wind was blowing at 25 mph and my hips were making their displeasure known quite emphatically.

My race started early. The race director Meghan, a good friend of mine, again allowed me to start early so I would finish with the rest of the pack instead staggering in long after everyone else has finished. She allowed me to do this last year and as things turned out, a few others could have benefited from an early start as well. It was a cold 36 degrees with a wind chill of 28 when I hit the road. I showed my Garmin to Meghan’s dad to verify my start and headed south out of town into a 15 mph wind. (This is truly the beauty of small town races!)


Still smiling after the OCO 1/2 Marathon
I have just discovered the joy of listening to music as I walk/run and was loving the 70’s channel on my SiriusXM app on my phone. Up until recently I had only listened to myself gasping for air and talking to myself in my head. Bad, Bad, Leroy Brown kept me company while I caught Boogie Fever and did some Jive Talkin’. As the wind picked up the Eagles kept me soaring. But when the wind kicked up to 25 mph and Dust In The Wind by Kansas came on I almost burst out laughing as tumbleweeds rolled along beside me.

The return leg of the race is special to me. By starting early I get the chance to meet all the runners as they are still heading out to the turn around. Most give me a high five or a thumbs up and those that I know shout encouragement as I give them a big smile and try to boost their spirits. It truly is a special part of the OCO race for me and I’m so glad Meghan let’s me experience this.

As I was running one of the downhill stretches it occurred to me: I had a little more energy and a little less pain than in the past. Don’t get me wrong, my hips still hurt, but not nearly as bad as they would have a few months ago. I haven’t been as totally exhausted lately either, just more tired them most. Progress? I sure hope so. The new biologic treatment might actually be getting the upper hand in this battle with RA. No wonder I felt a sense of peace and calm. For the first time in 18 months I felt like I was taking a step forward instead of treading water or even falling farther behind.

I finished my ½ marathon in just over 3 hours and shaved 17 minutes off my previous PR. Yet another reason to smile after the race. Now, a few days later, I’m a little sore and my hips still ache but for the first time I’m optimistic about controlling my disease. I’ll keep listening to my 70’s hits as I plod along and the Eagles and I will Take It To The Limit one more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment