Training for a triathlon and fighting Rheumatoid Arthritis can take a lot out of a body. I need all the positive vibes you can send!

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Anything For a Donut

Saturday's training schedule was a little messed up. But when donuts are involved I can find a way to make it work.

The original plan was to go swimming then a ride. Sounds pretty straight forward. Then my hubby said he was taking the day off. That called for a revision of my plans. I train on my time, not our time, and he's been working very long hours to get planting done I was not going to miss spending time with him. He still had to go to the farm first thing in the morning to make sure the irrigation systems were running and do the daily maintenance. So while he was gone I was going for a ride and then when he got home we would head to the donut shop.

My ride was good and I even got in a little speed work. The wind wasn't too strong and my speed was just where it should be. When I got home I called Hubby. As luck would have it things were not running smooth out on the farm. It would be a few hours before he would be home. Rats. There goes my donuts. And then he had a wonderful idea. Why don't I go get the donuts before they run out of all the good ones and we'll have them later. Brilliant!

That also gave me the push to go swimming. I picked up the donuts then went to the Y. I have discovered that swimming after running or biking is hard. Very hard. But I managed 600 meters at a decent pace that even included some backstroking. Then it was home to have my donuts.

When I got there Hubby was still out working (so much for the day off) and I couldn't wait. I ate my treat and savored it with my recovery drink. No guilt involved since I did my original workout and did it well. When he finally got home he ate his donut as I watched. It's amazing how somehow things just work out.

When I first started training last year the first thing I read was to get the support of your support system. To that end I worked very hard to train on my time and still keep up with the day to day things like laundry, lawn mowing, and food. Sometimes that means sacrificing a little training time but I value my time with family and friends. But when I can make a workout fit in AND have a fresh donut AND spend the rest of the day with my hubby it's magic.


No comments:

Post a Comment