Training for a triathlon and fighting Rheumatoid Arthritis can take a lot out of a body. I need all the positive vibes you can send!

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Timing Is Everything

It's been dry here. We have been in a major drought for over three years. So when the forecast is for rain we take it with a grain of salt. But the air felt different today so maybe, just maybe, we would get some long awaited moisture.

So with that in mind I went for my run at the local zoo. The path around it just happens to be 1.5 mile. That's pretty handy for running a 5K. I did my two laps and felt good about the run. I held pace most of the way and didn't walk at all. But the air felt heavy and the clouds were starting to pile up to the west.

Then it was off to the Y for swimming. The director said she was watching the weather and it was getting closer but I could go ahead and swim. I was really tired from my run so the first 200  meters were a struggle. But then I got into a rhythm and finished 600 meters in just under 18 minutes. I took a few breathers at the ends so that's not too bad of a time for me.

When I walked out of the Y the sky had turned very dark and the air was still. I had just gotten to my car when the first drops of rain hit. By the time I got out of the parking lot the wind was whipping dirt into the air and the first hail stones hit. Driving home was not fun but I made it. Wind, hail, and rain pounded the area and although we need the rain desperately it was pretty intense.

So watching the forecast paid off. If I had waited to run until after my swim I would have been caught out in the storm. It's so important to keep taps on the weather when you are out on a run or ride. I'll keep watching the radar and trying to fit my workouts in when it's safe. The rain is so welcome we can put up with everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment