Training for a triathlon and fighting Rheumatoid Arthritis can take a lot out of a body. I need all the positive vibes you can send!

Monday, May 13, 2013

Bonk

We went from winter to summer in 10 days. From record low temperatures to a high today of 95 degrees. That's Kansas. But my body was not ready for the sudden heat and I bonked on my ride today.

The original plan was to ride to the Y and swim, then ride home. That would get the 12 mile ride I needed and the swim all in one shot. The wind was low today and the temperature in the mid 90s. Just last week we were bundled with ever piece of clothing we owned to ride in Hays. But when Kate H called and wanted company on a ride I gladly changed plans. Riding with friends is a lot more fun then riding alone.

So after meeting at the zoo we took out on my favorite route. Things were going fine until about 7 miles out.The peddling suddenly got hard and sure enough I had a flat. This is the first ever flat on the open road for me. Time to see if all that knowing what to do could be put into action. With Kate's help we got the tire changed without too much trouble considering this was a first for both of us. I've helped Claudia before but I think I was in the way more then a help. Ten minutes later we were on the road again.

Immediately I knew I was in trouble.I couldn't get a good cadence going and I was struggling with every little hill. After a few miles I had to call a halt and get off my bike. My vision was narrowing to a tunnel and I felt like I was spinning. After leaning over my bike for a few minutes we started again, but before long I had to stop again.

I hate being the weakling of the bunch. But this time I just couldn't help it. It took about five minutes to clear my head but after that I was able to keep on the bike. Kate is such a good sport about waiting for this old lady when I know she could have completed the ride much quicker on her own.

Looking back I made several mistakes. I didn't eat anything before the ride except a handful of M&Ms. I don't think they count as fuel. I also didn't hydrate before the ride. I had water with me but when the weather is suddenly much warmer I know that water is even more important.

Riding with a friend was absolutely the right thing to do tonight. The training plan is just a plan and adjustments can be made. I'm so glad I did!


No comments:

Post a Comment