Training for a triathlon and fighting Rheumatoid Arthritis can take a lot out of a body. I need all the positive vibes you can send!

Monday, May 6, 2013

Day One Double Up

Since this is a short (by most standards) training course they have packed a lot into each week. Today was a 20 minute swim and a 2.5 mile run. Because of the pool swim times I have to do the run first to be home when I want to be. It's not ideal but that's the way it's got to be until summer break begins.

The run went surprisingly well. I wore my new tri suit to test it out. It's a two piece suit from Zoot and it felt alright. The waist band is a little loose but I can pull the draw strings a little tighter. I kept a good pace for the first 2 miles and slowed down for the last 1/2. I don't like running on the city trail because of all the stopping for traffic involved but I got it done.

The swim was OK. I was more tired then I thought I would be even after a nice cool down after the run. I still managed to swim the first 400 in about 11:30 which for me is really good. I took it easy for the next 200 and it seems like as soon as I relaxed I flowed better through the water. I'll have to learn to adapt that attitude through the entire swim, not just at the end.

All in all a good start. I am so much farther ahead then I was last year at this time and I know I can do the event without dropping dead in the street. Tomorrow is a bike ride and a forecast of rain. I'll have to start working on Plan B.

No comments:

Post a Comment