Training for a triathlon and fighting Rheumatoid Arthritis can take a lot out of a body. I need all the positive vibes you can send!

Sunday, April 15, 2012

New Challenge, the Story Begins

First 5K race of the 2012 season.

New Challenge

Life is a challenge, so why add new challenges on top of that? To stay active. To stay focused. To stay YOUNG. This year the challenge is to compete in a Triathlon. That's swimming, biking, and running in the same race. Crazy, right?

Some strive to run longer distances but I was a sprinter in high school, specifically a hurdler. Making me run the 400 felt like punishment. So what the heck am I doing running 5K (3.1 mile) races around the area. Honestly, I have no idea. I don't get that great feeling you hear about while running. My lungs hurt, my heart pounds, my hips and knees scream at me, and I sweat like a pig. But love the feeling when I finish; tired, empowered, free, proud.

But running longer distances is not in my mind set. Even in track I felt a 100m dash needed to be interrupted by some hurdles to be interesting. So why not throw some other interesting detours into the mix. Add a swim, maybe a bike ride, and now you have a race!

I found a beginner program I think I can live with/through, and picked out the triathlon I want to debut/drown in, and I'm ready to begin. Training starts tomorrow for the race on June 30. I can do this! Cheer me on!  


No comments:

Post a Comment