Training for a triathlon and fighting Rheumatoid Arthritis can take a lot out of a body. I need all the positive vibes you can send!

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Wind, Wind, Wind

When I looked ahead at the forecast today looked like a great day for a ride. So I contacted a few friends, invited members of Team 4F (a group of nuts just like me) and planned on a long leisurely ride. Yeah, right.

The day started on a somber note with the funeral for a friend and co-worker's wife. As we left the service I noticed the wind. Lots of it. Even in town. But with friends planning on a ride and me being the one to call the ride there was no way to back out. The only hope was to pick the route with the least headwind.

It was so tempting to just do a short short ride, or take the bikes to the zoo and ride laps around the park, out of the worst of the wind. But our competitive natures won out and we headed north, straight into a 24 mph headwind. Five long grueling miles later we make the first turn into a slightly less torturous direction. Six miles later I was drained. But the next turn took us south, with that same lovely wind now at our backs. FUN!!!! It almost made the agony of the first 11 miles worth the effort. Almost. It's the fastest four miles I have ever ridden and they came to an end way too soon. Then it was back into a cross wind but nothing we couldn't handle.

I'm tired but feel good for having done the ride. I've always said I'm a fair weather runner/rider. But I may have to get over that because there are no guarantees it will be good weather on race day. Now I know I can ride in the wind. But that doesn't mean I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment