Training for a triathlon and fighting Rheumatoid Arthritis can take a lot out of a body. I need all the positive vibes you can send!

Monday, June 10, 2013

Epic Weekend!

Looking back I can't believe it's only been two days ago but so much has happened in a short amount of time my head is spinning. Sorry folks, this is going to turn into a long post but the short version is I ran my second 10K of my life and bettered my time then rode a day section of Bike Across Kansas for a beautiful 57.5 miles. But the experiences and memories are much greater than that and deserve a proper telling.

Saturday

This part of the story really started three years ago when I entered my very first race; the Longhorn Stampede. It has grown to one of the bigger races in the area with over 175 entrants this year. The first year I walked the 5K with a friend with a little jogging thrown in. Since there were very few in my age group I placed second. I was hooked. Now I can't count how many races I've entered and the medals collect in a box in my work-out room. But I will always have a fond spot for this race.

My training program called for a 5 mile run this weekend so some crazy impulse in my brain made me check the 10K box in the entry form. What's another extra mile? I've only run one other 10K and that didn't turn out too well. I really stressed my IT band and had to stop running for a few months last fall. So what the heck was I doing signing up for another one? I really don't know. The farthest I've run (and I use that word loosely, it's more like intervals/survival mode) is 4.5 in the past 6 months. This was going to be ugly.

Winning isn't everything, but it is nice.
An older gentleman that has run for years has started coming to a few events to run with me. Dennis is a very fit 67 year old guy with a slow steady running style. We run about the same pace but he has much more endurance. I was happy that he wanted to run this race since it is one of my favorite. We started out fine and kept side by side for the first 4 miles. Then I started to lag. I could tell he was much stronger so I encouraged him to go on and I would be fine. He reluctantly did but he didn't pull too far ahead. I think he was holding back so I wouldn't be all alone on the route.

That's right. All alone. I was the last person running. I could hear the course worker picking up the direction cones and sign arrows behind me as I passed. That's a little disheartening. But I kept checking my watch and I was still maintaining a somewhat decent pace, even with a few walking jags thrown in. I passed the last water stop and they had everything packed and ready to close down as they handed me the last cup of water. (sigh) I was feeling pretty bad about my running and my effort, but I couldn't have run any faster. That was it. That was all there was.

Then, with a long trip around the block to go, Yolanda R. rounded a corner and started running with me. What an angle! She had just set a PR in the 10K (actually she set the course record for her age group!) and had come back to encourage me to the finish. Suddenly my feet didn't feel quite so heavy and my legs pumped a little faster.

As we turned the last corner and hit the long stretch to the finish line, there was Dennis. He had finished and turned right around to come run with me. Wow. I was humbled. I knew he was worried about me but I guess he doesn't know that I'm a turtle. I'll get there eventually. I'll finish.

Remember those 175+ runners at the race? Everyone of them was cheering me on as I neared the finish line. I tried to run fast and look smooth but it was hard. I really wanted to walk, but NO WAY was I walking with everyone cheering for me. This was my hometown race and most of those people were my friends and neighbors. I was smiling from ear to ear which is something I can't explain. To hurt that much and feel that good at the same time is something I think only runners can explain. I finished and finished strong. I ran the best race I could and actually improved my time from my other 10K so, woo hoo, a new PR to boot.

In the whirl wind of activity after the race I talked to many people and in the process lost track of Dennis. He's still new to the race scene and is a little shy so he left. At the awards presentation Yolanda received a jacket for placing 3rd overall for 10K women and 1st in her age group. Gina G., another great friend placed 1st in the 50 and over division. I knew when she turned 50 I was in trouble. But low and behold, I placed 2nd in our group. Yup, only two of us, but I'll take it with a smile. The surprise was Dennis finishing 2nd in the 60 and over division. Yup, only two of them, but I picked up his medal for him and took it to him later that evening.

Ready to Ride at BAK in Sublette
The look on his face when I handed him that medal was priceless. Shock, followed by humor, then pride. He knows there were only 2 runners, but he is as proud of that medal as anyone can be. He was smiling from ear to ear and showing it to everyone around. I know the feeling. I showed my first medal to everyone I met! Before the evening was through he came up to me and asked if I was doing the race in a few weeks at a small lake in a neighboring town. I told him it is the same day as my triathlon and he thought a second and said "Maybe I'll go do that one on my own. I've always wanted to run the lake." I think he's hooked.

Sunday

Now to switch gears, literally. Another crazy brain impulse back in February made me sign up for a one day section of the Bike Across Kansas. It happened to be going very near my town and the distance was manageable at about 55 miles. I picked Sunday's ride so I could do the race on Saturday. Gina G. made the same decision so we were running and riding together all weekend.

Traci and I just gabbing away the miles.
Neither of us had done anything like this before so we didn't really know what to expect. Claudia B., Traci W., and Casey A., have all done it before but we were newbies. Still fresh (???) from our 10K runs we headed to Sublette to pick up our rider packets. If you have never seen 800 bicycles in one place, plus riders, tents, campers, and support vehicles you just can't imagine what it's like. Every type of bike and rider was present and  a tent city covered every green space of lawn at the local high school. We found Traci and made our arrangements to meet in the morning and she looked tired but OK. She is an expert cyclist and biked across the United States last year. (To read about her amazing adventure check out her blog)

Then we found Claudia and her husband and they looked tired. They had fought typical Kansas wind most of the day and were ready to crash. They had camped out the night before and storms in the area made sleeping difficult. Marty has only had a bike for 5 weeks and is trying this adventure for the first time. He's crazy by the way. Since home was only a short drive away and we were coming back in the morning the light bulb turned on over his head and they rode back home with us to get a good nights sleep.

Gina is as crazy as the rest of us!
Have I mentioned wind a few times? I'm sure I have because we have a lot of it. When we signed up for the ride we knew we would have to take whatever weather came that day and make the best of it. We watched the forecast and crossed our fingers. God must have been listening and been in a gracious mood because the day was absolutely spectacular! After the 25 mph headwinds the riders faced the day before this was a gift from heaven.

Gina, Traci, and I along with Traci's friend Sue who rode with her through part of the cross country journey last year headed out with Claudia and Marty not far behind. I have never had such an easy ride in my life! Not that there was a tailwind, there was no wind at all! We talked and laughed and watched the miles fly by. I rode beside Sue for a while and got to know her and pointed out interesting things along the way. She is from Washington state and has never been in this area before. Quite a change from water and green trees. I felt like I could have ridden forever. My saddle said otherwise, but the rest of my body was having a great time.

We stopped at the SAG stops and had cookies and brownies and visited with other riders. Then we would get back in the saddle again and pedal on down the road. We rode past the largest wind farm in Kansas and not a blade was turning. With 800 cyclists going the same direction it was a steady stream of bikes along the highway. With little traffic, great company, and no wind it was one of the most enjoyable rides I have ever had. It ended way too soon as we pedaled the last hill into Dodge City.

Sue, enjoy this rare Kansas day.
Gina's friend came to pick us up and I felt like I was missing the ending of a good movie, like we should be going on with the rest of them. We were tired but excited and so blessed to have spent such an amazing day with wonderful people. The rest of the group is on the road again today and have 400 miles left to go by the weekend. The wind is picking up and the forecast is for above 100 degree days the rest of the week. How did we get so lucky? To pick a day to ride in February and have it turn out so perfect is a miracle. I know I can't do the entire ride because of harvest. Plus I've never camped out in my life. But the though lingers in my head today and I wonder. For now I'll thank God for the beautiful day and the new friendships that have been formed. Be safe out there and keep pedaling! Fair winds and no flats!


5 comments:

  1. Patty, I sobbed and sobbed over your accomplishments and was a mucus mess!! (Sorry if that is TMI) so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Yolanda. I would hand you a Kleenex if I could. 80)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad Yolanda suggested I read your post. And yes, you got me crying too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. (handing you a Kleenex too)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patty, What a nice way to sum everything up:-) it reminds me of what an angel once said and I quote " Remember George , no man is a failure who has friends--- Clarence. Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete