Training for a triathlon and fighting Rheumatoid Arthritis can take a lot out of a body. I need all the positive vibes you can send!

Saturday, June 22, 2013

That's Why!

After wondering what the heck I am doing and doubting myself and my efforts I came up with the real answer this morning and it's the same as it's always been. Because I can.

Yesterday I went for a 5 mile run and really felt pretty good about my effort. I ran the first 2.5 miles at a nice pace and finished the second half at a more leisurely pace. But 5 miles is a long way for me and it took right at one hour. I asked myself what I would be doing if I wasn't out on the road for that hour and a host of little things popped into my head: switching the laundry around, pulling a few weeds in the yard, reading my book, (and the most likely) surfing the net. All of these things I can and did do later in the day so what pressing matter would I be addressing if I skipped my run. Since I'm off for the summer I can honestly say, not a thing. So why not run. I always feel better and like I've accomplished something.

This morning I went for a swim at the Y and as fate would have it I was in a lane next to a man doing therapy in the pool. He would walk sideways, backwards, forwards, then sideways again. I don't know what injury he has but he was moving, slowly, but moving. Then I headed out for a 2 mile run and there were more people on the trail hobbling and limping, struggling with the motion of putting one foot in front of the other. It doesn't take being hit over the head that many times to get the point. I do this because I can, in support of those who can't through donations and race fees for various causes.

I came to the realization that if I am going to need therapy for anything physical I want it to be because I was doing something active. Not because I let my muscles atrophy and my joints stiffen. When I feel aches and pains I want them to be because I pushed hard in a workout, not because I did nothing and let my body decay.

But most of all I want others to see that you can move and be fit and enjoy life at any age and at any level. It's never too late to start and you are never too old to try. I do this because I can and thank God for that privilege. I'll try to remember that when the workouts are hard and I'm covered in sweat.


No comments:

Post a Comment