Training for a triathlon and fighting Rheumatoid Arthritis can take a lot out of a body. I need all the positive vibes you can send!

Monday, June 3, 2013

I'm BAAAACK!

It has been a week to remember, or forget, depending on your point of view. A week ago our house was struck by lightning. Actually it struck the junction box in the yard and followed the wires into the house. We lost a lot of electrical appliances but worst of all WE LOST OUR INTERNET ACCESS! It's amazing how much we rely on that little connection. All we had was our phones and I was not going to blog on that thing.

So I've spent the week calling repairmen, scheduling technician visits, and replacing fried equipment. Thankfully I'm off work for the summer and was able to devote the time to getting the house up and running again. It also means that I have time to train and no excuses.

Swimming has been good with my time and endurance right where I want them to be. My last timed 400 was faster than last year by almost 2 minutes. My riding is going fine and when the weather cooperates I get a good workout in. The run has been a surprise. I'm actually improving!

Claudia and I taking a break on a beautiful morning.
On Friday the weather was beautiful so Claudia B. and I went for a ride. She filled me in on all the details of her triumph at the Tyler Texas 1/2 Iron Triathlon. She placed 1st in her age group and yes, there was more than one entrant. I love riding with friends, it makes the miles fly by.

Saturday  was the Hoof it to Health race in my town. I have no illusions about being fast, but I did run the fasted 5K I've run in years! No walking and a nice pace added up to a personal improvement of which I'm very proud. I can do it!

So today I did 4.62 miles. Walking was involved but the first half was not too bad. I've taken a big step and signed up for a 10K next Saturday. The only race strategy is to survive. It will be a challenge but I can get through it.

This weekend promises to be exciting and challenging. The 10K on Saturday is leading up to a ride on Sunday as part of the Bike Across Kansas. I'm only doing one day and it's only 50 miles. I can't believe I can say ONLY when talking about that much distance. My, how my thinking has changed.

I'm running again almost like in the old days and everything else is coming along great. I think I might actually do alright at this year's triathlon. I'm Baaaaack!





No comments:

Post a Comment