Training for a triathlon and fighting Rheumatoid Arthritis can take a lot out of a body. I need all the positive vibes you can send!

Saturday, June 29, 2013




Race Day!

I woke up to thunder and lightning at 5:00 this morning. I saw the flashes through the window and the air filled with the sound of rumbling. Uh, oh. Not a good start to a triathlon race day.

We are trying to finish wheat harvest so a rain delay would set us back some. We didn't get much more than a heavy sprinkle but that will keep the combines out of the field for a few hours today. On the other hand we need all the moisture we can get. But for a triathlon, with lots of swimmers in the water and out on the open prairie on bikes, lightning is not your friend. After turning on the TV and checking the radar on my laptop I thought we should be alright and the storm would be out of the area by the 7:30 start time.

1st Place 50+ Age Group!!
How did we get so lucky? The air temperature was in the mid 60s, the wind was almost non-existent, and the clouds stayed around long enough to keep us cool. It doesn't get more perfect than that!

I arrived in plenty of time to stake out my transition spot at the end of a rack. For some reason they set the racks up on the parking lot this year. The rocks and gravel were not going to be fun to run through from the pool. I tried to pick a spot as close to the grass as I could then spent some time kicking rocks out of the way.

Casey A. was there and Yolanda R. was part of a team. Several other people that I know were setting up their bikes too. When you start to go to more events you meet more and more people. After a while you feel like one big family. The down side is you compete against the same people again and again, but actually you are competing with yourself. Right?

Traci W. and Claudia B. came to watch and cheer us on and I can't tell you how good it feels to hear a familiar voice calling out from the sidelines, giving you encouragement and pulling you through the finish line.

Out of the water without drowning.
Finally it was go time. We lined up on the pool deck in number order and waited our turn to start. This was a serpentine swim with 10 second start intervals. I thought about lowering my expected swim time so I would start sooner, but changed my mind. I didn't want the pressure of being passed by those behind me. I was still passed by some, but I held my own and even passed one swimmer. It wasn't pretty and I struggled a little and had to do the back stroke for a little while. But my back stroke is almost as fast as my free style so it really wasn't a loss.

When we got to the end it was all I could do to hoist myself up out of the water and onto the deck. My arms felt like jelly and I was afraid I would fall back into the water. But I made it and headed for the transition area. Claudia, bless her heart, handed me my glasses (I had forgotten to take them off before going to the pool!) and I tip toed to my bike. No rocks were going to slow me down! I know putting on socks takes a few more seconds but I'm not quite to the point of going without. By the time I left on my bike I was ahead of last years race by almost a minute. Yessssss.

Headed out on the ride.
What can I say about the bike ride. My Garmin said the wind speed was "0". I believe it! At least for the first half. I felt a slight breeze on the ride back but not enough to affect my speed. I felt like I was really flying! I was pushing up most of the hills and really pumping on the way down. I even passed a few people! But some of the fast guys that didn't turn in swim times or signed up late whizzed by me like I was standing still. Over all, I was pleased and I knew I was faster then last year by a little bit. I kept looking at my overall time and thinking "If I can get back to transition before 1:00 I can lower my time a little.

The transition from biking to running is difficult for most, awkward for some, and down right ugly for the rest. I usually fall into the last category. But today the transition didn't feel too bad. I was able to run from the start and maintain pace for quite a distance. I still had to walk from time to time but I tried to keep near my goal pace of 11:30. Don't laugh, that's about all I can manage on a regular run let alone at the end of a triathlon. I sucked down some power gel before the water stop and that seemed to help. It's always interesting to run around the zoo because you never know what you are going to see. Or hear in this case. As we ran by the lion enclosure the big cat was cheering us on with his roar. How cool is that!

On the last stretch to the finish line I looked at my watch. Wow! I was really going to lower my time from last year quite a bit. I tried to pump harder but that just made me tighten up. So I tried to relax and let it flow and run smooth and easy to the finish. Easier said then done!

Thumbs up!
I've never been to a big race with thousands of people running elbow to elbow so I don't know what it's like to finish in a crowd. But there is something to be said for finishing on your own with no one around you. I could hear Traci and Claudia, but also so many others cheering me to the finish line. That is a feeling that takes all the pain away for a few moments. I more and more realize the importance of being a spectator. I understand why so many family and friends of Boston Marathon runners were crowded at the finish line. God bless each of them for their support for their loved ones and grant them strength as they now fight to recover what was lost.

As I crossed the line I hit my timer button. 1:34:20! I had lowered my time by just over 3 minutes. Just finishing with a smile is winning, but to improve is like adding whipped topping to a fudge sundae. MMMMMM good. After catching my breath I felt fine and even now my legs are not tight or sore. We'll see how I feel in the morning! Last year they didn't have times available until the next Monday but they must have figured out a better system and they had the results within the hour. Incredibly, I finished 1st in the 50+ age group! Yes, there was more than one. They also have my time listed as 1:34 flat. I'll take it. Now I wish I would have ran a few steps more.
Finished and smiling!

Another big race is in the books and I proved that it wasn't a fluke. I can do this and I can get better. I have so many people to thank but I'll just sum it up by saying I have the most wonderful network of friends that provide me with amazing amounts of encouragement and support. My Hubby is proud of me but still thinks I'm crazy. Without strength from God and the gift of a healthy body I would be sitting on the front porch watching this parade of life from the sidelines. I don't want to watch that parade. I want to be in it. Heck, I want to lead that parade! Anyone want to join me!?

No comments:

Post a Comment