Training for a triathlon and fighting Rheumatoid Arthritis can take a lot out of a body. I need all the positive vibes you can send!

Friday, May 4, 2012

Fashion or Function

Workout clothes can be really cute, or they can be really not so cute. But cute is in the eye of the beholder.

Being a very practical person has it's advantages. I don't mind when the riding top I wear is bright, and I mean BRIGHT reflective yellow. I would rather the trucks and cars see me and hit the breaks rather then not see me and then look at my broken body and say, "By the way, that's a nice top she was wearing." The cycling shorts do nothing to make my backside look smaller, in fact the padding makes me look well rounded. But the padding is by far more important then a cute tush.

As for my Triathlon suit, well lets just say function far out distances fashion on that one. It's not overly tight but still shows every bump and bulge and I have too many of them to try and keep them all sucked in. I know they try to put a little style into the design but this is not going to be what one wears to the beach. It covers me from just under my neck to mid thigh. It is made to take you from swim to ride to run with no problems and I think it will do the job fine. Not too much padding to interfere with the swim and run, but enough to keep you in the saddle on the ride. I'll try it out next week when I hit the pool.

With shorts to mid thigh and socks over my ankles you can imagine the tan lines I'm getting. I always wear sunscreen and do my best to protect my skin. Somehow it just throws the look of sandals and a sun dress out the window. But I know why I have those tan lines and how hard I've worked to get them.

While my gear may be geared toward function, I think it's just fine and yes, cute. I feel good when I'm wearing it and I look better because if it. So I'll take function with a little bit of flair anyday.

Yesterdays workout was a 16.48 mile ride. Riding through town is not for me, especially on major streets. I'll take a different route next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment