Training for a triathlon and fighting Rheumatoid Arthritis can take a lot out of a body. I need all the positive vibes you can send!

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

That's Why They Call Them Bricks

I have participated in a duathlon so I'm not unfamiliar with the transition between bike and run. It's not easy. You feel like you are totally uncoordinated and run like a duck. But my first brick workout was a whole new experience.

I wiggled into my new tri-suit and hit the road. It was apparent early on that the padding was light, but it will meet my needs for a 12.5 mile bike ride. One good check mark for the day. I headed down the highway and realized that the mileage I needed would have me turning around at a major interchange. One bad check mark for the day. Since I didn't feel like navigating the clover leaf intersection I turned around a little sooner and headed back home. Over all the ride was fine, not too fast or slow and I drank lots of Gatorade on the way.

Believe it or not the transition went fine. Stripped off my riding gloves, switched my helmet for a visor and I was off again. Another good check mark.

Starting off walking for a few minutes is a good way to get your muscles switched from peddling to running and when it was time to run I didn't feel too clumsy. I did the first interval and thought it was never going to end! My legs felt like they where as heavy as bricks! I totally get it now. Someone has a warped sense of humor. One big bad check mark for me.

Did I mention that the temperature was now 90 degrees? Well, that had a major affect on the rest of my run. I didn't want to push too hard and have a heat issue and it felt like I was adding bricks to my legs with every step. I also realized that I miss my tight compression shorts. I felt loose in the caboose with lots of bounce. A bad check mark for sure. When I got back home I was one tired lady, but guess what. I did it. My first brick workout of this training session is history! A big good check mark for the day.

I downloaded my workout and was totally surprised at how fast I was actually biking and running and my hear rate was in an acceptable range. With 6 1/2 weeks until the race I think I might actually be ready. Not fast, but ready. On to the next workout and more good check marks!

No comments:

Post a Comment