Training for a triathlon and fighting Rheumatoid Arthritis can take a lot out of a body. I need all the positive vibes you can send!

Monday, June 18, 2012

The Big Pool
Lap section of the pool.

As a kid I used to go to the Big Pool on Sundays and paddle around the shallow end. In my child's eye I saw how big it was but didn't have the ability to appreciate the actual size of the "Worlds Largest, Free, Municipal, Concrete, Outdoor Swimming Pool". I haven't been to the pool in over 30 years and seeing it again up close and personal for the first time again was intimidating. The pool is 330 feet x 220 feet (larger then a football field!) and holds 2.6 million gallons of water. The lap swim area only takes up a small portion of the entire pool.

It goes on and on and on!
The water was cold and less then clear but I jumped in and took off down the lane. I thought I would never get to the other end! It seemed to go on forever. I struggled but managed 500 meters with stops at each end. By 400 meters I was getting my breathing down and feeling better. I need to swim at the pool a few more times before the triathlon to really get the hang of the longer length. I followed the swim with a 5K run but it was 97 degrees and I had to walk more then I wanted.

The pool lost it's "Worlds Largest etc." designation when they reconfigured for the slides and other improvements and started to charge admission. The Big Pool is a wonder and tribute to the people of Garden City. 

No comments:

Post a Comment