Training for a triathlon and fighting Rheumatoid Arthritis can take a lot out of a body. I need all the positive vibes you can send!

Sunday, June 10, 2012

That's Power

Today marks the end of training week 8 for me and I was going to write about sucking it up for the next 2 hard weeks worth of workouts. Instead I want to tell you about my friend Casey A. I've only known her a few months really, and only as a fellow athlete at that. But what I do know is that she is an amazing lady that has worked through some tough times and come out on top with a smile and a helping hand for others.

When I think of Casey I think power. She's competed in half iron triathlons and numerous bike endurance rides and races. She rides with the guys from the bike club and pushes them to the limit. Power.

Right now Casey and Claudia B. are participating in the Bike Across Kansas ride and in typical Casey style she's pulling a trailer with her gear instead of having it hauled by the support truck. The wind is howling today and Casey just reported that she bypassed all 3 SAG stops just to get the ride over with. Even hauling all that extra weight she arrived at the next overnight stop first, ahead of any of the support vehicles, so she got to choose a prime location for her tent. Power.

Along with all that power is a willingness to help others become better. We were riding in a group headed up a long incline and Gina was struggling a little. Casey turned around and road back, like she does so often, and road next to Gina, put her hand on Gina's back and pushed her up the rest of the hill. Power.

I hope I get to know Casey better as we continue to ride and share adventures. I hope I remember her willingness to help others when they struggle. I hope I someday can keep up with her for even a few miles on  my bike. For now, I'll just admire her power. Power to overcome. Power to motivate. Power to achieve. Power.

No comments:

Post a Comment