Training for a triathlon and fighting Rheumatoid Arthritis can take a lot out of a body. I need all the positive vibes you can send!

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Ride, Boldly Ride

Gina, Kate, and Me. Casey was behind the camera.
I was apprehensive about this morning's ride. Would it put unwanted stress on my already aching calf muscles? I didn't want to finish up hobbling like an old lady. I did modify my plans a little and hauled my bike to the meeting place instead of riding the extra 4 miles there. It was a beautiful morning and the wind was manageable so we headed south out of town to ride on the newly resurfaced old highway.

It was smoooooooth. The road before had pot holes and the outer 1/3 was pretty cracked and broken down. It was rippled and lumpy and beaten down by years of truck traffic. Now it's a joy to ride, even against the wind and up the hills.

Proof we were ahead of Casey, at least for a little while.
Kate, Gina, and Casey were along for the ride. I've found that running is a solo pursuit but biking is a group adventure. I don't mind riding alone but it's more fun with friends along. Casey gave us a little lesson in power riding and took off like a shot on the way back. I couldn't even begin to keep up and I thought I was cruising. When us three slower riders got back to the meeting place she had already had time to post our pictures on Facebook. We were humbled. When I grow up I want to ride like Casey!

My calf muscles felt fine after the ride, nice and loose. I'll try and keep them that way all day. I'm proud to say I I have finished 10 weeks of training and should be ready to tackle the triathlon and survive. I am a turtle and there is nothing going to change that. But I'll be there and I'll finish. Let the count down begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment