Training for a triathlon and fighting Rheumatoid Arthritis can take a lot out of a body. I need all the positive vibes you can send!

Friday, June 22, 2012

Tri Practice

The local Recreation Commission is having a Mini Sprint Triathlon in July and I've already signed up. It's short, 225 meter swim, 9 mile ride, 2.5 mile run, but that's fine with me. I did this one as a Duathlon last year and got the multi-sport race bug. It's geared toward beginners so as part of the program they are offering practice Tri events in the weeks leading up to the race.

Tonight was the first one and really really short. 75 meter swim, 3 mile ride, 1/2 mile run. I decided to use this as transition training and I'm glad I did. I lined everything up and had to think through each stage of the race and make sure it was ready. It may have been over kill for this short race but I needed to see if I had thought of everything.

The swim was done in a flash and I walked out of the pool and into the parking lot dripping wet, sat on my towel and got into my riding gear. Everything went great. I didn't have any problems getting my socks on and I made sure I took a big drink of Gatorade before leaving for the ride. I only forgot one thing and that was to start my GPS watch. I tried to start it on the ride out but needed to pay too much attention to where I was going. There was a lot of traffic at the pool because the adjacent baseball fields were packed with kids.

The transition to the run went smooth as I swapped out my shoes and took another big drink of Gatorade. However on the run I developed hard pin point cramps at the top of my calf muscles. After the first 1/4 mile I had to stop and rub them out a little but I was fine after that.

Looking at my time I was disappointed. I had to remember my turtle power and realize that I'm not fast at anything and live with it. My ride was a little slow, only 14 mph but my little run was OK. I know I will have to run intervals and that's fine with me.

Overall it was a good practice. They are having another one next week and I think I'll do it again. The distances are a little longer but not so long as to tire me out for my race next Saturday. I can't believe it's going to be here so soon! I have a busy weekend ahead with running, biking, and most importantly, my grandson's 1st Birthday Party!!

No comments:

Post a Comment