Training for a triathlon and fighting Rheumatoid Arthritis can take a lot out of a body. I need all the positive vibes you can send!

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Locker Room Talk

After my swim I was toweling off in the locker room and a lady commented on my tri-suit saying she has the exact same one. This is my new two piece suit that I wore for the first time today. It's a Zoot and so far I really like it. At least the bottoms don't sag when I get out of the pool. We started talking about triathlons and gear and where we work out. She is from out of town and here on business and has her workouts planned for each town she's going to be in this week. That's dedication. She's preparing for the El Dorado Triathlon which is an open water swim. We compared GPS watches and heart rate monitor straps. It was so nice to have something in common that two strangers can talk about while dripping wet in the locker room.

My run portion of my workout went really well with my heart rate staying right at 150. It never really got any higher then that and for the first time in a long time I felt like I could run and run and run. I still kept to my intervals, sort of, which for today were 8 minutes of running with 30 second walk breaks. I stretched some of the running time out and finished my four sets of intervals without feeling totally dead. The pace was slow, but I'm not going to worry about that just yet. I think it's more important to train my heart. Especially after hearing about my niece's experience at a half marathon over the weekend.

She had a massive nose bleed on the route at around mile 5 and it got so bad that they pulled her in off the course. At that point her blood pressure was extremely high and she had broken some blood vessels in her nose. She finished the race, but at nearly a walk the rest of the way. I'm trying to prevent any heart issues by following the heart rate training guide carefully. It seems to be helping, but it's frustrating to have to accept being slower then you want to be or then you were just a year ago.

Tomorrow is another swim because I'm going biking with a friend on Thursday. It helps the time and miles fly by when you have someone to ride beside.

No comments:

Post a Comment