Training for a triathlon and fighting Rheumatoid Arthritis can take a lot out of a body. I need all the positive vibes you can send!

Friday, June 29, 2012

Thank You

Today is a rest day so I went for a walk this morning to keep loose. I usually don't post anything on a rest day but I need to thank so many people and wanted to look back at the nuts and bolts of this journey.

When you see your friends accomplishing amazing things it's natural to want to share in the experience. I have a wonderful group of people around me who inspire and motivate me to try new things and reach for new heights. They run marathons, half marathons, 10K and 5K races. They compete in Triathlons and Duathlons. They ride in time trials, endurance rides, cross the state rides, and cross country rides. How can I not try for more when I have such role models around me.
 
Only 2 squares not colored.
Running farther does not interest me so doing something like a triathlon caught my attention. Traci W. and Casey A. have excelled in this area and have inspired Claudia B. to try a Half Iron Man Triathlon this fall. I looked into the distances and the training involved and found the TriNewbie.com web site. I thought the workouts were realistic for someone who is just wanting to compete. I have no illusions of being fast so the next step was to talk to my husband. Bless his heart, he didn't discourage me, and said if I was crazy enough to try it then go ahead. I vowed from the start that I would not train on our time but on my time and for the most part I have succeeded. Deep down, I know he's proud of the work I've put in and that I'm doing something not many can say they have done.

So, on April 16th training began. It started easy but soon got more difficult and more time consuming. When all was said and done the numbers stack up like this. I have logged 450.08 miles in the pool, on my bike, and on my feet. I've spent 51.5 hours and burned over 20,000 calories. That's 94 miles of running/walking, 7.5 miles in the pool, and 348 miles on my bike. All of this hopefully will add up to completing the race with a thumbs up and a smile. On the down side, I've actually gained 5 pounds in the process. Not sure why, but there it is.

I need to thank so many people and I don't want to leave anyone out. First, my co-workers and bike riding buddies, Kate H. and Claudia B. Kate is actually learning how to swim so she can compete in a triathlon this summer. Talk about dedication. Just a year and a half ago she swore she couldn't run but now blows the socks off her competition and was such a good sport on the Hays bike ride. She gets it done. Claudia is a woman on a mission. She is always reaching farther and higher and doesn't know the meaning of quit. She's training for a half iron tri and has run a half marathon and ridden across the state. Wow. 

Then there are Gina G., Dan K., and Casey A. Gina is so supportive and upbeat and always ready to go for a ride. She's run a half marathon and is planning to run a full in the fall. She got her bike last November and is loving every mile. Dan is a wellness trainer at the local Wellness center and a super motivator for everyone whom he comes into contact. He runs for the joy of it and encourages everyone around him to push harder and go farther and don't be afraid to try something new. He's grudgingly nursing an ankle injury and working on his swimming for therapy. Casey is a power house. She does it all and does it well. She rides her bike with a passion and power that leaves the rest of us in the dust, and in awe. She's always got a smile on her face and a kind word of encouragement.

I don't want to leave my "Running Friends" out. This group of Facebook friends have been with me every step of the way. Maryll, my sister Sandra, my daughter Lyndi, Betsy, Carla, Kara, my niece Dana, Amy, Melanie, each one has played a roll in getting me to this point. Thanks ladies!!! Keep moving, whatever you can, whenever you can.

Traci W. Wow, I don't know where to start. At this moment she is in Montana biking across the United States solo, carrying all her gear on her bike. I can't even wrap my mind around what she is accomplishing and enduring to raise money for a local charity. She's given me advice and encouragement and so many pep talks over the past few years I can't even begin to count them all. Today I received a good luck card from her postmarked Montana. With all she has to worry about and plan and keep track of she still sent me a few words of encouragement that I will treasure forever.

Finally I need to thank my husband Bob. He works hard on the farm and gets his exercise the old fashioned way. He just shakes his head at my crazy ideas and sends me on my way. He rubs my calves when I get cramps and lectures me about running in the heat. But he tells everyone he sees that his wife is going to do a triathlon. I know he's proud of me and supports me even though he thinks I'm nuts.

I've been asked why I'm doing this and I say, "Because I can". It is through the grace of God that my body allows me to swim, bike, and run at my age without too much difficulty. It is through his blessings that I'm able to compete in area races and support the charities and organizations that do such good for others. And it is through God that I gain peace and stillness even when my heart is pounding and lungs are aching. Thank you all for your love and support. Tomorrow, look for a thumbs up at the finish line!

No comments:

Post a Comment