Training for a triathlon and fighting Rheumatoid Arthritis can take a lot out of a body. I need all the positive vibes you can send!

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Longhorn Stampede

Today was the second anniversary of the first 5K I ever entered. The Longhorn Stampede is put on by our local Recreation Commission to help the high school cross country team raise money. The first year I entered just to get me dedicated to walking. I had only jogged very short distances but was walking about 3 days a week. I talked a friend into doing it with me and we signed on the line and put down our money. I was willing to try as long as I could walk most of the way.

I was nervous that morning and didn't know what to expect. There sure seemed to be a lot of people there, and some of them looked so fit! I knew quite a few of the participants and there were lots of kids and people pushing baby strollers. The atmosphere was so fun and upbeat and everyone was so friendly and encouraging.

When the run was done I knew I was hooked. I walked well over half the coarse and the little running I did nearly killed me! I was so red in the face everyone kept asking if I was alright. I felt great! I was tired but so proud that I had finished. And miracle of miracles, I placed second in the 50 -59 age bracket. Even as slow as I was I still beat a few other old ladies. That medal was so precious to me! I've run much faster since then but that medal will always be my favorite.

Now, two years later, I'm still not fast and still walked about 2 minutes of my time today. There were more fast old ladies today so no medal for me. I have a feeling I'll need to hang on until I get to the 60 and over division to win many more medals but that's not the reason we run. Ask most any runner why they do it and they'll answer in a heart beat, "because we can." I get so excited when I see the kids running, but just as excited to see the older ladies just starting out. Or the ladies who are a little on the heavy side trying to make a difference in their lives. Or the men who know they are not going to catch the fast guys, but they are out there anyway.

We run because we can. And if that helps a charity or organization along the way, all the better. Two years ago this race changed my life. Now when people ask why in the world I'm doing a triathlon I can say with pride, because I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment